Offida

Previous
Next

    Offida's outstanding church is Santa Maria della Rocca (13th century). Once located inside the Offida castle, it was donated to the Abbey of Farfa in 1039 and later to the Benedictine monks around 1047. Now the "front" entrance leads into the crypt at ground level. At one time this entrance was reserved for the monks. The crypt is decorated with frescoes (14th century) by the Maestro of Offida. His work of the saints is characterized by the style of the halos and early depiction of transparency. Outside the position provides great views.

      In the Collegiate Church, there is a model of the Grotto of Lourdes, and a great presepe (nativity scene) on a grand scale.

     Offida's main claim to fame is its lace making tradition. Associated blog at:     http://ofotd.wordpress.com/2013/04/26/offida-city-of-lace/


©TAB 2012-2015